> Why you dont download one of the various xmpp libs and write a GUI around it?
>
> Instead of doing the work to make Gajim headless and then write a GUI around
> it?

Initially I thought of that, and haven't found libraries with
comprehensive XEPs support in a few languages that would be handy to
reuse from C or via C FFIs (aiming using those directly, as libraries),
but since considering a D-Bus interface (and external processes) now,
those language restrictions indeed no longer apply, and there are
seemingly good libraries that can be used for that.

So yes, my bad: perhaps it wouldn't make much sense to do it with Gajim.