Two parts to this probably.

1) It should definitely be possible to have parameters in tool configs that are set in a global configuration file, I actually thought tool_conf.xml might be a good place (inside the tool element).

2) For the particular case of processor cores, ideally we would be able to have the batch management system set this information (if running on an 8 core node, use 8).