Hi Peter,

On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In brainstorming here about how to organise the tools menu in our
> local Galaxy, we considered an automatically populated list of the
> user's frequently or recently used tools. Unlike a favourites system,
> this doesn't require explicit action from the user.

This is currently available in the Options menu of the tool panel ( Options ->
Show recently used )

> That brought us to another thought - does Galaxy track how
> often different tools are used? Even if that hasn't been done till
> now, it should be possible to trawl the database of all non-purged
> histories and tally up usage counts.

See the "Jobs per tool" report in the Galaxy reports.

> That information would be helpful for many decisions - including
> optimising the listing for easy of use, or making sure the most used
> tools all have excellent documentation.  If this could also count the
> run time as well as run count, it would be particularly helpful for
> identifying where most of the server time is spent, so which tools
> which would most benefit from optimisation or different hardware
> upgrades.

Currently run time is only available on a per tool per job basis, but the
reports could be enhanced to show averages if this is needed.

> Do you already do this internally for the main public Galaxy interface?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Greg Von Kuster
Galaxy Development Team