On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:58 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
>> They run under a separate Galaxy webapp ...
>
> Why? It seems to me it would be easier to have it under the admin pages
> of the main Galaxy webapp.

Running as a separate web application provides much more flexibility in many
areas ( e.g., separate thread pools, user authentication, application settings,
etc, etc, etc ).

>> ... which you configure using the
>> reports_wsgi.ini in the Galaxy install directory ( copy
>> reports_wsgi.ini.sample
>> and make appropriate changes for your local app ).  This is where you'll set
>> a port, and connect to the same database your Galaxy instance uses.
>>
>> After setting the config, fire up the reports with:
>>
>> %sh run_reports.sh
>>
>> ... and direct your browser to the port you've set in the config.
>
> That didn't work on my development machine, no output at all. Having
> eventually found this Dev briefing apparently SQLite isn't supported:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/Features/DevNewsBrief/2010_06_08
>
> Is there any more documentation on this somewhere on the wiki that
> I've missed? It isn't working immediately on our production machine
> either - some relevant errors in reports_webapp.log include:
>
> sqlalchemy.exc.ArgumentError: Invalid SQLite URL:
> sqlite://./database/universe.d?isolation_level=IMMEDIATE
>
> Why would it use that connection string when I've recorded
> database_connection = postgres://... in reports_wsgi.ini?

There must be a problem with your config setting.  The reports server will use
the value defined in the "database_connection" setting.

> [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/opt/galaxy-dist/database/compiled_templates/reports'
>
> Is that a folder? When is it meant to be created?

Yes, this is a folder that should get created when you start the reports
server.  The config setting is named "template_cache_path" - see line 32 of
~/lib/galaxy/webapps/reports/config.py.

> Thanks again,
>
> Peter

Greg Von Kuster