From: Richter, Brent G. <brich...@partners.org>
Date: Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:59 AM
Subject: [bioinfo-core] request for speakers: ISMB 2011 Vienna, workshop
sessions
To: bioinfo-c...@lists.open-bio.org

Dear bioinfo-core community:

Thanks to your feedback, we have identified two broad session topics for the
workshop at ISMB 2011 in Vienna July 15 to 19th (roughly).  Workshop
proposals
are due this Friday and we ask for your feedback on the topics and request
short
speaker proposals if you desire to present within one of the sessions.
 Please
provide proposals by Thursday to myself or one of the co-organizers (Fran
Lewitter, Simon Andrews or David Sexton).

Topic 1: Analysis Pipelines for NGS--the school of hard knocks.

               A major goal of the bioinformatics core facility is to
deliver
high-quality data and tools to the researcher.  In NGS workflows, core
facilities deliver both default data from analysis pipelines as well as
allow
investigators to use those pipelines directly.  However, there can be major
issues in doing so.  This topic will explore the pitfalls by focusing on
what
information is missed by relying on standard pipelines only.  How can one
actually get it wrong by delivering only the results of a standard pipeline?
What is the value of the intermediate data that you may not look at but if
you
do, there can be some rather interesting finds?  Time and value can be in
conflict in these situations as in-depth QA/QC of data beyond standard
pipelines.

Topic2: Management of Core Facilities.

               We will explore different business models of bioinformatics
core
facilites and their setup including business models, recharging, funding,
staff
retention, and performance evaluations and metrics.  This is a topic we have
discussed throughout the years, but continues to be of high interest.

Thanks!

Brent

e-mail
HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly
dispose of the e-mail.

http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
http://getgalaxy.org