SOLVED. I copied/paste the Rewrite rules for apache from the wiki without updating the paths to my installation...once I did that, all worked well.

On 2/17/11 5:07 PM, Ryan Golhar wrote:

I've set up a local instance of Galaxy following the instructions in
the wiki for a production instance. I'm running on CentOS with
Apache, and a mysql database server.

Everything looks great when viewed directly through the Galaxy web
server on port 8080.

I've implemented the "Serving Galaxy at a sub directory (such as
/galaxy)", made the change to Apache, and the universe_wsgi.ini.
When I view the page through Apache using http://server.name/galaxy,
the page is garbled like something didn't take.

Hi Ryan,

Did you restart Galaxy after setting up the [filter:proxy-prefix]
section and the 'filter-with = proxy-prefix' setting?

I did. I restarted both Apache and Galaxy. I verified it using 'ps -ef |
grep python' to see that it in fact was shutdown, prior to restarting.