Ryan, congratulations on getting this far!

Thank you!  :)

    Ok, so I think I have everything set up correctly.  I'll test my
    cluster integration tomorrow.  For now, I can see galaxy from my web
    browser.

    First issue - When I go to User -> Login and try to log myself in
    (I've already registered myself), it looks like it works, but the
    browser get redirected really fast to another page, then again to
    the main page. The User menu never shows me as logged in as it does
    on the public usegalaxy.org <http://usegalaxy.org> site.

    Is there a way to check that I'm actually logged in?  If its not
    showing, then I assume something is wrong.  Where do I look to debug
    this?

Try hovering your mouse over the 'User' tab top right of the screen - if
you see 'logged in as ....'  at the top of the popup, then you are
logged in. Otherwise not.

yeah, I'm definitely not logged in.  Something isn't taking.

Also, if you have added your login email to the list of admin_users in
universe_wsgi.ini (and restarted galaxy of course...), then you can tell
you are logged in if you can see an 'Admin' tab - otherwise not.

No, I haven't done anything with admin stuff yet.

Depending on your situation, you may want to consider using external
authentication against (eg) an existing organizational
ldap/active_directory or other authentication database and have apache
pass the authentication headers through to a proxied galaxy. It's not
trivial but the benefit is that users have single sign on - one less
password to forget :)

I will, but first I want to get the default install working properly before doing anything else.

SO....I've removed the Apache proxy and am hitting galaxy directly on localhost:8080. Logging in still doesn't work. What else should I check? I'm connected to a mySQL database running on a different server. Could there be a problem there? paster.log doesn't seem to be much help in debugging this...