Zachariah K Zachariah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having some trouble compiling SAMtools on a Solaris10 X86 p latform
> using gcc compiler version 3.4.6. Using the Makefile I get some link errors
> and have not been successful in creating the binary or the associated
> libraries. It seemed to me that it was missing the socket library. I tried
> adding -lsocket to the compile directive but landed up with no resolution.
> Here is a transcript of the make command used to build the binary file. I'd
> sure appreciate some help/pointers from experienced people of this list.
> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

This is a question more suitable for the SAMtools mailing list(s) since
it's not specific to Galaxy:

  http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=246254

That said, I'll try to help answer your question.

> root >> make
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/zkzac/samtools-0.1.12a'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zkzac/samtools-0.1.12a'
> gcc -g -Wall -O2 -o samtools bam_tview.o bam_maqcns.o bam_plcmd.o sam_view.o
> bam_rmdup.o bam_rmdupse.o bam_mate.o bam_stat.o bam_color.o bamtk.o kaln.o
> bam2bcf.o bam2bcf_indel.o errmod.o sample.o libbam.a -lm -lcurses -lz
> -Lbcftools -lbcf
> Undefined first referenced
> symbol in file
> socket libbam.a(knetfile.o)
> setsockopt libbam.a(knetfile.o)
> connect libbam.a(knetfile.o)
> getaddrinfo libbam.a(knetfile.o)
> freeaddrinfo libbam.a(knetfile.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to samtools
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [samtools] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zkzac/samtools-0.1.12a'
> make: *** [all-recur] Error 1

I'm not sure where you added socket to the compilation but it's not
present when linking.  If it was in the right place, you'd see it in the
output of 'gcc -o samtools' as above.  I added it to the Makefile like
so:

samtools:lib-recur $(AOBJS)
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(AOBJS) libbam.a -lm $(LIBPATH) $(LIBCURSES) -lz
-Lbcftools -lbcf -lsocket -lnsl