Leon,

There are already quite a few bioinformatic tools available in Debian:
   blast, ncbi-tools, bioperl, biopython, mummer, glimmer, ...

And there is the BioLinux effort that provides an additional repository of DEB packages (compatible with Debian, Ubuntu):
http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/bio-linux/dists/unstable/bio-linux/binary-i386/

Florent