Hi Shaun,

Security checks are performed on every active ( undeleted ) dataset within a
data library as it's contents are rendered upon opening.  For the current user,
every dataset is checked to determine if the user can access it, and if so,
then checks are made to see if the user has permission to perform operations on
the dataset that fall into the add / modify / manage permissions areas.  These
checks incur db hits for each dataset, so if your data library include many
datasets ( several hundred  or more ), then it will take a bit of time to
render it upon opening.  The size of the dataset files is not an issue here,
but the number of datasets within the data library.

A solution to this is to split up the data library.  Change set
5200:ed7b6180b925 added the ability to move data library items within a library
or between libraries, providing a way to split up a large library.  This change
set should make it to the distribution within the next few weeks, or you can
pull it from our development repo.

Thanks Shaun,

Greg Von Kuster

On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:21 AM, SHAUN WEBB wrote:

> Further to my email below.
>
> I have a data library that contains many ~117Gb of NGS data, uploaded via
> file system path. This library was always slow to open (about 10s) but now
> takes several minutes or not at all.
>
> Thanks for any help on this. I am still experiencing a memory leak that I
> can't pinpoint and it is only dissipated by restarting the server. At the
> moment my debugging level is set to INFO. Is there anything I can change in
> the universe file to try to trace this.
>
> Thanks!
> Shaun

Greg Von Kuster