Hi Brad,

I agree that implementing an ajax approach to rendering libraries may be a good
solution, but also may be difficult.  We'll analyze this a bit more and see if
it will be reasonable.

We made a decision when we implemented libraries that we would provide fine
grained security at the dataset level.  The trade-off, obviously, is that it
takes time to check every dataset.  Another approach to solve this would be to
not provide as fine-grained security, and have security at the folder level
rather than the dataset level.  If this is done, all dataset within a folder
would be required to have the same security.  What are your thoughts on this
approach?

Thanks Brad,

Greg

On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Brad Chapman wrote:

> Greg;
>
> [large data library performance]
>> Security checks are performed on every active ( undeleted ) dataset
>> within a data library as it's contents are rendered upon opening. For
>> the current user, every dataset is checked to determine if the user
>> can access it, and if so, then checks are made to see if the user has
>> permission to perform operations on the dataset that fall into the add
>> / modify / manage permissions areas. These checks incur db hits for
>> each dataset, so if your data library include many datasets ( several
>> hundred or more ), then it will take a bit of time to render it upon
>> opening. The size of the dataset files is not an issue here, but the
>> number of datasets within the data library.
>
> We are running into this limit quite a bit in practice as our data libraries
> grow. Splitting it does provide as a quick workaround. What would you
> think about loading folder data on-demand via Ajax? Our data is
> stored in folders and sub-folders within the library, so this would
> let us scale up library items without having to arbitrarily split
> the data libraries.
>
> I took a quick look at the code with this in might and it looked,
> well, hard. But that could be totally due to my ignorance of the
> implementation, what do you think?
>
> Brad

Greg Von Kuster
Galaxy Development Team