On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:46:54AM -0400, James Lindsay wrote:
> Hi,
> I run galaxy on a large SMP university machine. The machine is used by some
> folks for command line work, and others via galaxy. I was wondering if
> anyone had integrated into galaxy a job manager that monitors CPU load
> averages, and only runs new jobs when cpu resources are available?

James, you could achieve this using the galaxy cluster configurations.
Even with a single (SMP) machine in use there's value in creating (for
example) a torque queue on that machine and using Galaxy's torque
support to have it submit jobs to that queue.  Your non-Galaxy command
line users can then also use the 'qsub' command to launch their jobs,
and Torque will be able to balance resources across them according to
your preferences.

Having your galaxy jobs use the pbs (torque) job runner has the
additional benefit of being able to restart galaxy without the jobs
losing their parent process and dying.

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/Config/ProductionServer

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/Config/Cluster

--
Ry4an Brase                                         612-626-6575
Software Developer                                  Application Development