> "ProgrammingError: (ProgrammingError) You must not use 8-bit
bytestrings
> unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings
(like
> text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just
> switch your application to Unicode strings."

I'd hazard that the easiest way to solve this problem is to explicitly
encode the url when you pass it to the other program, something like:

   myprog.pl --use-this-url #echo eightbitstr.encode('utf-8')

----
Paul Agapow (paul-michael.aga...@hpa.org.uk)
Bioinformatics, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is
confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s). It may not be disclosed to any other person
without the express authority of the HPA, or the intended
recipient, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part
of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept
for computer viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before
opening or saving. HTTP://www.HPA.org.uk