Hi,

Couple of things that can be slightly improved in the SAM-to-BAM tool:
1. "Reference list" is not informative (it's the technical way to say: "list of
chromosomes and their sizes based on a FASTA file").  Users do not generally
know what "reference list" is.

2. The "Locally Cached" option is not informative (I had to look in the source
code to understand what it means).
What it should say is something like: "Get list of chromosomes/sizes based on
the dataset's organism/database" (could be shorter, but should be friendly
enough).

3. There's no option of having the chromosome list in the SAM file header. Some
SAM files will contain the header (can even be done in the standard bowtie tool
wrapper) - saves the need to specify where to get the "reference list" from.

4. Autodetection in the "set-metadata" step will go a long way here: if the SAM
file already have a header, then no need to even ask about it.
If it doesn't have a header but have a DBKEY, then we're still OK.
If no DBKEY and no header, then complain or ask for a FASTA file from current
history.
(I realize the implementing this feature is hard and annoying, I don't imply
that it's easy to do, just that it's needed).

5. Inside the python script (sam_to_bam.py) there's a comment that says: "for
some reason the samtools view command gzips the resulting bam file without
warning" .
Not sure why one cares about that, but "samtools view -u" will output an
uncompressed BAM file.

6. samtools support piping, so a lot of I/O (and some time) can be spared by
piping the two commands together:
   samtools view -u -b -S "INPUT.SAM" | samtools sort - OUTPUT
Instead of running two commands and generating a temporary unsorted BAM file.

-gordon