Hi Peter,

On Apr 20, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> Hi all,

...<cut>...

> How about SVG? Don't most of the mainline browsers have
> reasonably good SVG support built in (possibly via a plugin)?

Yep, SVG support is pretty good nowadays especially in FireFox and Opera.
Safari, IE and Chrome have only partial support, but for simple charts without
3D filters it works fine. I've added SVG as a datatype to my Galaxy and this
works great. You won't need a plugin; in fact the old Adobe SVG plugin is
depreciated already for a few years now and no longer compatible with recent
browser versions.

The nice benefit of SVG in addition to not needing a plugin is that the image
can scale with the surrounding text if you zoom in your browser (without
loosing resolution).

The disadvantage is that although my users know what a PDF file is and can
process them for posters/manuscripts, most of them never heard of SVG and get
stuck when it doesn't import into PowerPoint et al. :(

Cheers,

Pi

> Peter

mobile: +31 6 143 66 783