Hi Peter,

Peter Cock wrote, On 04/21/2011 11:00 AM:
> Is there any built in way to control the Unix priority level (e.g.
> nice or ionice)
> used to run tasks? I don't see anything on here, but perhaps I'm looking
> in the wrong place:
> https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/Config/WebApplicationScaling

I've been experimenting with 'nice' as well (for other servers), and it seems
the consensus is that 'nice' is broken.

Linus puts it in a colorful way here: https://lwn.net/Articles/418739/
"[...] Seriously. Nobody _ever_ does "nice make", unless they are seriously
repressed beta-males (eg MIS people who get shouted at when they do
system maintenance unless they hide in dark corners and don't get
discovered). It just doesn't happen."

One recommended solution is to use "cgroups", which can control CPU, Disk I/O,
Memory usage and network load, as explained here:
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/06/manage-your-performance-with-cgroups-and-projects.html

With "cgroups" there will be no need to change anything in galaxy (just apply a
cgroup to the galaxy user, or something similar).

Unfortunately, "cgroups" requires a recent kernel, so it might not be
applicable in your case.

-gordon