On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Assaf Gordon <gor...@cshl.edu> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter Cock wrote, On 04/21/2011 11:00 AM:
>> Is there any built in way to control the Unix priority level (e.g.
>> nice or ionice) used to run tasks? I don't see anything on here,
>> but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place:
>> https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/Config/WebApplicationScaling
>>

> I've been experimenting with 'nice' as well (for other servers), and it
> seems the consensus is that 'nice' is broken.
>
> Linus puts it in a colorful way here: https://lwn.net/Articles/418739/
> "[...] Seriously. Nobody _ever_ does "nice make", unless they are seriously
> repressed beta-males (eg MIS people who get shouted at when they do
> system maintenance unless they hide in dark corners and don't get
> discovered). It just doesn't happen."

I know nice isn't perfect, but in the case of the sys admin setting
up Galaxy, we don't have the human laziness problem to overcome:
We could ensure all job tasks get run with nice 10 automatically,
without the Galaxy users having to do anything special.

> One recommended solution is to use "cgroups", which can control
> CPU, Disk I/O, Memory usage and network load, as explained here:
> http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/06/manage-your-performance-with-cgroups-and-projects.html
>
> With "cgroups" there will be no need to change anything in galaxy
> (just apply a cgroup to the galaxy user, or something similar).

Yes, but I want to treat the Galaxy webserver differently from
the compute jobs it launches.

> Unfortunately, "cgroups" requires a recent kernel, so it might not
> be applicable in your case.
>
> -gordon

Are you using cgroups on your Galaxy?