Hi Leandro,

On Apr 27, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Leandro Hermida wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if I got my setup right, I have Galaxy front-ended by Apache
> doing the static caching, proxying and LDAP auth.  What's nice is that user's
> don't have to be created by an admin if the user authenticates and authorizes
> properly against the LDAP config then Galaxy will automatically create the
> user locally.
>
> My question is that it shows that the User Name is "not set" for such users,
> is this the way its supposed to be

No

> or can I modify my LDAP config in such a way that it does set a User Name?

Yes, you can. I have a similar setup:

    #
    # For short logins. (Requires rewriting AuthLDAPBindDN to long form.)
    #
    AuthLDAPURL
"ldap://ldap.uu.nl/ou=medewerkers,o=uu?uuShortID,uuMail";
    AuthLDAPBindDN
"uid=${REMOTE_USER}@soliscom.uu.nl,ou=medewerkers,o=uu"
    #
    # Pass the user's e-mail address on to Galaxy as "login"
    #
    RewriteEngine On
    RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{AUTHENTICATE_UUMAIL}e

Note that the uuMail attribute requested via the AuthLDAPURL somehow gets
expanded into an AUTHENTICATE_UUMAIL environment variable, which can then be
used to rewrite "REMOTE_USER". You should be able to get something similar, but
the exact syntax will depend on the attributes defined in your LDAP. Note that
the example above allows my users to login with the part of their account
before the @. Since the domain part after the @ is the same for all of them
(soliscom.uu.nl), this saves them some typing when logging in :). Their e-mail
addresses may be different though, so I rewrite the REMOTE_USER to display
their e-mail address as Galaxy "account" in the web interface.

Cheers,

Pi

> regards,
> Leandro