Hi all,

I would like to set up Galaxy locally. At the moment, I'm just trying to use
it on my desktop (a Mac, OSX 10.6.7), but later we will want a local server
to play with.

Rather than install galaxy and then install all the tools it can use (and
deal with OSX issues for some of them), it seems simpler just to use a
virtual machine, since there are images which get regularly updated and come
with pretty much everything. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

I know there are Amazon EC2 images for Galaxy. So far as I know there are
not other kinds of images? So for using it on my desktop, I think my options
are either to run an EC2-compatible system locally, or to try to convert the
AMI to a VMWare or VirtualBox image. I was just wondering if anyone has
already tried either of these approaches?

Also, is it possible to get hold of the galaxy AMI files themselves?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,
Clare