Van: galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu
[mailto:galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu] Namens Clare Sloggett
Verzonden: donderdag 28 april 2011 9:16
Aan: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Onderwerp: [galaxy-dev] Using a Galaxy image on a local system

Hi all,

I would like to set up Galaxy locally. At the moment, I'm just trying to use it
on my desktop (a Mac, OSX 10.6.7), but later we will want a local server to
play with.

Rather than install galaxy and then install all the tools it can use (and deal
with OSX issues for some of them), it seems simpler just to use a virtual
machine, since there are images which get regularly updated and come with
pretty much everything. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

I know there are Amazon EC2 images for Galaxy. So far as I know there are not
other kinds of images? So for using it on my desktop, I think my options are
either to run an EC2-compatible system locally, or to try to convert the AMI to
a VMWare or VirtualBox image. I was just wondering if anyone has already tried
either of these approaches?

Also, is it possible to get hold of the galaxy AMI files themselves?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,
Clare