Leandro Hermida wrote:

> Thanks Nate for the info.  I would like to add though that this might not
> work for many organizations.  Many places have for example:
>
> lhermida as username
> leandro.herm...@domain.org as the email address

This is okay, the username does not need to match the email address.  If
it's desired to use the longer version, a user can always change it
later.

I committed a minor fix in 5483:4933de88cdb0 that will convert the
username to lowercase and replace any invalid characters (anything other
than lowercase letters, numbers, and the dash character) with a dash
when the username is automatically created upon first access by a new
user.

--nate