Dear Florent,

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 09:15:25PM +1000, Florent Angly wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> The idea of having a tool to automatically generate Galaxy wrappers
> is attractive, and in some cases, possible. For example, I know that
> the tools in QIIME (http://qiime.sourceforge.net/) use some sort of
> argument declaration and a Python module to read it and deal with
> the command-line interface. This makes it possible to write a
> converter that would generate (or at least kickstart) Galaxy
> wrappers. I also have some Perl scripts that use the Getopt::Euclid
> module (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Getopt-Euclid/), which declares
> all the arguments taken by the program. I have been contemplating
> writing code that would convert the Getopt::Euclid specifications
> into a Galaxy wrapper.

Yes, I thought of that too. Many languages have a getopt construction of some
sort, so that would be a really neat way, especially in strongly typed
languages. Parsing the man page is another option I considered, but the syntax
is a bit too loose I'm afraid.

For now, I've created a widget where people can fill in a command, its
description, name, parameters, etc. (something similar to what Dave suggested).
This widget creates an XML file which can then be used as a description of the
interface (ultimately I don't want to describe the interface either, hence the
widget).

Currently, I'm creating templates for the wrappers using the jinja2 templating
language, the interface generator would only need to parse the XML description
and by using one of the templates the desired wrapper can be generated.

Even if this is not directly applicable in Galaxy because of bugs, I think this
solution can be used in a broader sense to generate other interfaces (CGI for
example) by writing a different template.

Thanks for your feedback.

With kind regards,
Jeroen.

Jeroen F. J. Laros - j.f.j.la...@lumc.nl