On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Nate Coraor wrote:
>
>> Peter Cock wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Something I've not needed to do until now is define a new file format
>>> in Galaxy. I understand the basic principle and defining a subclass in
>>> Python... however, how does this work with new tools on the Tool Shed?
>>> In particular, if an output format is likely to be used by more than
>>> one tool, can we get it added to the Galaxy core?
>>
>> I think people have provided the new subclass as a patch with the tool,
>> but probably many of them, if well written, could be added to the core.
>>
>>> As an example, the basic functionality of the Blast2GO for pipelines
>>> tool (b2g4pipe) takes a BLAST XML input file, and gives a tab
>>> separated annotation output file. Galaxy already has 'blastxml' and
>>> 'tabular' file formats defined, so I didn't need to do anything extra.
>>> However, the tool can also take (a directory of) InterProScan XML
>>> files as input, so here a new 'interproscanxml' format would useful.
>>> Then any wrapper using or producing InterProScan XML could take
>>> advantage of this. e.g. Konrad's InterProScan wrapper could then offer
>>> the XML output as an option in addition to or instead of the tabular
>>> output.
>
> We will certainly include support for new data formats into the Galaxy
> core.  In case you haven't seen it, details for adding new formats is
> available in our wiki at
> https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/AddingDatatypes
> It's fairly straightforward.  However, glancing at the wiki, it looks like
> there is no mention of functional tests for the new format.  If we could
> get a patch that includes a functional test for uploading the format as
> new method(s) in ~/test/functional/test_get_data.py, it would be great.

Thanks for the link - I was aware my initial work on adding a generic
XML filetype was missing some steps, but I ran out of time yesterday:
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/issue/568

The test information is especially useful - but I don't see any use of
doctest in test/functional/test_get_data.py - could you clarify if the
docstring examples within the datatype classes are actually tested,
and if so how?