Hello Peter,

On Jun 6, 2011, at 6:41 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> We will certainly include support for new data formats into the Galaxy core.
>>  In case you haven't seen it, details for adding new formats is available in
>> our wiki at https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/AddingDatatypes.
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Should that page talk about lib/galaxy/datatypes/registry.py as well?

Sure!  If you have found weaknesses or missing details in the wiki that made it
harder for you to add a new datatype, please feel free to improve the wiki
content.  Sometimes we miss things because we're so close to the implementation
that things make sense to us, but not to others.

> That seems to be where mime types are specified, and for some
> reason (a historical fall back?), there is another sniffer listing here too
> (as well as in datatypes_conf.xml).

The sniffer listing and the mimetypes and datatypes by extension in registry.py
are default values in case (form some reason) these datatypes are not listed in
the datatypes_conf.xml.

> Peter

Greg Von Kuster
Galaxy Development Team