There are two slightly different problems here. One with the files ystem and the second is whether the machine Galaxy is running on can submit jobs to the cluster (ssh is mentioned in the original e-mail, suggesting that it's impossible to communicate with the cluster from the machine the job is running on). The Galaxy instance is constantly communicating with the cluster job scheduling system (SGE or other) in order to get updates on the status of the jobs. It should be possible to do it over ssh, but, in my experience, this slows down the code.

We run the Galaxy server on one of the cluster nodes. I imagine that other people using Galaxy with the cluster do the same. Are they?

Marina