On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Peter,

>> You didn't answer that one ;)
>
> Not necessarily, but hg is the basis for uploading and downloading tools.
> I'm not sure if it will be possible to completely eliminate the requirement
> of a tool developer using hg, but we're making every attempt to do so.

Good.

> Why are you so averse to using hg?

Because git suits me better? ;)

Seriously, I have no strong aversion to hg - what puts me off a little is
the need to have one repo per tool or tool-suite, compared to my current
setup where all by tools are in a branch from the main Galaxy repo.
There would be a significant time and effort cost in switching, made
worse by having multiple tools on the Tool Shed.

I'm actually thinking of this (requiring hg knowledge) as a more general
issue, namely a potential impediment to new Tool Shed contributors.