I'd like to have Galaxy and another application installed on the same Apache
server and have the user authenticate only once. I think I understand how to do
that by deferring authentication to Apache (instead of using Galaxy's built-in
database). So far, so good, I think.

What I'm wondering is if it is possible (in external user mode) to control the
user experience of authentication versus being stuck with the one where the
browser pops up the authentication dialog. Is it possible to implement a shared
authentication mechanism that uses web pages for the UI? Or would we have to
give up Apache-based security and snoop the Galaxy session cookie instead?

Many thanks -

John Duddy
Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Illumina, Inc.