Hello Ben,

By fasta data, do you mean that you would like to add in local genomes? If so, these wiki pages have instructions:
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/DataIntegration
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/NGSLocalSetup

If instead you want to load large local files to do analysis, this prior mailing list response has the details:
http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-user/2011-March/002135.html

Please let us know if your question has been misunderstood,

Best,

Jen
Galaxy team