Van: galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu [galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu]
namens Samuel Lampa [samuel.la...@scilifelab.uu.se]
Verzonden: woensdag 13 juli 2011 12:08
Aan: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Onderwerp: [galaxy-dev] Possible to re-use toolconfig xml files outside Galaxy?

Hi,

I have been looking into re-using the galaxy toolconfig xml files
outside galaxy, for auto-generating wizards for command line tools, in
an own little (eclipse based) software (For a short background, see [1]).

I have come to realize though that the xml-files are not really
independent, but (almost?) always is accompanied by a correpsonding .py
file, which does more or less tricks, which seemingly makes it very hard
to use the xml-files outside a galaxy/python environment at all.

My questions:
1. Are the xml-files *always* accompanied by the .py file, or is that
optional?
2. Would my idea be possible/reasonable at all?
3. Are there other more general tool config formats that I could use,
since I'm not using galaxy atm?
4. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Best Regards
// Samuel

[1]: The tool is built as a complement to some galaxy initiatives at the
UPPMAX HPC Center in Uppsala. Specifically we need a light-weight way to
configure batch scripts for the software installed at UPPMAX, of which
bioinformatics tools are just a part. The galaxy toolconfig xml-format
looked useful though, and seemed to enable us to have at least most of
our bioinformatics tools (the category with most installed tools at
UPPMAX) already configured.

--
System Expert / Bioinformatician
SNIC-UPPMAX / SciLifeLab Uppsala