Hi Mattias,
PyCogent is not currently being installed as part of mi-deployment, so the
method for installing it should be added (if you do so, please consider
issuing a pull request on bitbucket so it can be added to the project).

When it comes to composing $PYTHONPATH to include the reference to PyCogent
via Qiime's env.sh - this should be done as part of the Qiime installation
method in mi-deployment (something like export PYHTONPATH=<path where
PyCogent was installed>; export PATH=...).
Sourcing of the tool's env.sh script is prepended to the execution command
when running the tool so the appropriate environment settings will be loaded
before the tool is run.

Enis