Hi.

I'm still searching for a solution to this problem.

Currently we have to implement a tool to read the GTF file selected via a from_data_table parameter and output a list of feature types.

Secondly we have a second tool that reads this file using a from_dataset parameter so the user can select a specific datatype.

Not really ideal, I would prefer to do this in one tool if possible. If I could reference the file chosen in the first select then this should work.

For instance in the output data tags I can put label="${gtf.value}" and it returns the name of the selected file from the datatable.

If I do the same in inputs section: <options from_file="${gtf.value}" galaxy tries to find the file [galaxy_dir]/tool-data/${gtf.value}.

So the solution would ideally look like this:

<param name="gtf" type="select"  label="GTF File --gtf">
<options from_data_table="pycrac_gtf"/> <!--link to .loc file with gtf file per species -->
</param>
<param name="feature" type="select" label="Select feature">
                <options from_file="${gtf.value}">
                <column name="name" index="2"/>
                <column name="value" index="2"/>
                <filter type="unique_value" name="unique" column="1"/>
                </options>
</param>

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Shaun

Quoting SHAUN WEBB <swe...@staffmail.ed.ac.uk> on Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:17:44 +0100:

Hi Greg,

thanks for the suggestion. This line doesn't seem to work:

<options from_file="some_value">

Galaxy looks for a file at galaxy_dir/tool-data/some_value rather than the value given in the .loc file

I would also like to be able to use the galaxy data tables rather then referring directly to a .loc file.

Any ideas?

Shaun

Quoting Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:28:30 -0400:

Hi Shaun,

This should be possible. It's been quite a long time since I worked on tools, so maybe others can provide better assistance if I am incorrect here. You'll need to have a conditional something like the following ( not tested whatsoever ):

     <conditional name="selected_file_select_list">
<param name="selected_gtf_file" type="select" label="Gtf file by species">
             <options from_file="some_file">
                <column name="name" index="2"/>
                <column name="some_value" index="1"/>
              </options>
         </param>
         <when value="some_value">
<param name="values_from_selected_gtf_file" type="select" label="Values from selected gtf file" />
                <options from_file="some_value">
                        <column name="name" index="2"/>
                        <column name="some_value" index="1"/>
                </options>