So I figured it out... but for those who need to know:  You can put the
expression (e.g. value % 2 == 0) or the regex between the validator tags.  I
guess you have to use the keyword "value" for a mathematical  expression or
a regex to access the value of the field.  So my validator for checking if
the number was even looked like this:

<validator type="expression" message="Window Size must be even">value % 2 ==
0</validator>

- Nik.