On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the link - I was aware my initial work on adding a generic
> XML filetype was missing some steps, but I ran out of time yesterday:
> https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/issue/568

Hi all,

Could someone please review this patch:

https://bitbucket.org/peterjc/galaxy-central/changeset/83c4366e0641

This is currently the one and only commit to my xml_filetype branch,

https://bitbucket.org/peterjc/galaxy-central/src/xml_filetype

This attempts to define a new basic data format 'xml' as per issue 568,

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/issue/568

This might help with a user error I was just presented with, where
an Excel spreadsheet was uploaded and miss-identified as text -
when it was clearly XML. Clicking on the 'eye' tried to display it
and gave a cryptic error message in the central panel.

In fact, this example makes me wonder if the proposed base XML
datatype class should NOT be a subclass of text (as it is now with
the blastxml datatype).