Hi Dave

We do something similar already: We store the NGS data outside of the Galaxy directory tree in our NGS repository. And our (selfwritten) NGS tools in Galaxy know were to find the data in the repository and were to put it. (see 'key insight 3' and '4' in my presentation at this years Galaxy Conference, http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Events/GCC2011 )

This is very easy to implement. In the worst case you need an additional wrapper around your tools with the information about the location of the data. However you need to keep in mind a few 'features' or drawbacks:

 - you can't look at your data. The galaxy history might just be a log
   file saying something like: "the alignment was successful"

 - in our setup, everything is owned by the user galaxy. But you can
   take advantage of the pre-defined $userEmail variable for access
   control (see 'key insight '5' in my presentation). And you can
   extend your wrappers: you can also use this not only to control the
   access, but also to read from and write to different storage
   locations

I agree, this is a quick and dirty solution...but it is simple! It also offers you the possibility to access and manipulate your data without the Galaxy framework.

Regards, Hans