On Aug 12, 2011, at 7:42 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Glen Beane <glen.be...@jax.org> wrote:
>> to compile these from source you'll want to grab the BLAT
>> source code from here: http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~kent/src/
>
> It looks like these are two different URLs for the same place,
> only one server shows the README file at the top and the
> other doesn't:
>
> http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~kent/src/
> http://hgwdev.cse.ucsc.edu/~kent/src/
>
> The UCSC website does seem like a maze ;)
>
> Peter

I should have read your email a little more clearly!
I read "That just contains pre-compiled binaries - but there is no sign of the
source code or a licence file." and thought "hey I know where the source is"
and then replied without ever getting to the part where you found
http://hgwdev.cse.ucsc.edu/~kent/src/unzipped/utils/twoBitToFa/

Yes,  it is definitely not obvious where to go to get these tools -- I remember
I had to dig a while to find faToTwoBit

--
Glen L. Beane
Senior Software Engineer