Hi Ilya,

Tools should not ordinarily write to this directory, but will often read from
it. These files are generated by Galaxy's Metadata functionality.  If you are
setting metadata externally (settings in universe_wsgi.ini) and using a
cluster, then this will occur as part of the tool/job script, as a separate
entry (calling set_metadata.sh) in the e.g. .sh file submitted to pbs. Certain
filetypes, e.g. BAM and MAF, use these for storing index data.

Thanks for using Galaxy,

Dan