Dear Community,

        our lab has developed a NGS analysis pipeline for viral sequence
analysis (both genomic resequencing and RNA-Seq, including some novel pathogen
detection and viral quasi-species reconstruction approaches) that fulfills
various analytical needs of our clinical cooperation partners. Since we believe
that the pipeline might be of interest to the broader virological community we
decided to integrate our workflow into Galaxy as a set of plugins.

        However, we do need our in-house computational capacities for our own
analyses and are targeting people who do not have time and experience to set up
their own Galaxy installation (for example, clinical virologists). Therefore,
we would like to provide the finished product as a non-profit service in the
cloud (for example, by using Amazon AWS, for which the Galaxy installation is
pretty straightforward).

        We envision (or at least, hope) that the pipeline will be used heavily
and would therefore like to transfer the costs for the used resources to the
user (e.g., the clinical virologist) in a pay-as-you-go manner. Amazon offers
its 'DevPay' service for these purpose, basically an infrastructure to bill
users of an AWS application instead of the application provider. Again, we do
not want to make any profit with this service, we just want people to pay for
the cpu cycles they burn with as few hassles for us as possible.

        I could well imagine that other academic institutions have similar
goals, e.g. being willing to offer their work for free without wanting to cover
the costs for analysis resources. Does anyone have experience with similar
kinds of setups and would like to offer advice? I am looking for hints about
technical (e.g. how to best integrate a Cloud Galaxy with DevPay or similar) as
well as legal hurdles that we might have to be careful about (e.g., are we in
conflict with Open-Source Software Licenses if billing is involved, even if we
do not make a profit etc.).

        Thanks a bunch!

Grüße/Regards
Sven-Eric Schelhorn

--
Sven-Eric Schelhorn - http://mpi-inf.mpg.de/~sven
Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Saarbrücken