yes, many tools don't read from stdin, you're right.  in practice, i
actually have each task write it's part to the node's local scratch
disk and also do implicit conversions in this step as well (e.g.
scatter fastq as fasta).  but not all clusters have a local
scratchdisk.
also, as you mentioned, the seek solution wouldn't work for compressed infiles.

as i try to avoid working on the galaxy internals, i implemented this
as a command-line utility.
e.g.
<command>psub --fastqToFasta $infile --cat $outfile qctool.py $infile
$outfile</command>
instead of the nonparallel: <command>qctool.py $infile $outfile</command>

but it would be nice to see this functionality in galaxy.  i thought
about reimplementing this as a drmaa_epc.py job runner but noticed
there was already tasks.py.