It seems that the <conditional> element can only be used WITHIN a <data>
element in the outputs.  But that won't do what I want.  I know that you can
use <conditional> in the <inputs> element in that way, but it will NOT work
that way in the <outputs> element.  However, I have found a way to do what I
want using the <filter> element.  I basically have all the outputs for both
the single-end and paired-end reads, but I filter out the outputs based on
whether the user chose single or paired end.  If anyone has a better way to
do it, I would love to know!

- Nik.