On Aug 26, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Duddy, John wrote:

> I'm looking into these, and it seems that the spirit is to store a version of
> the data that is converted, like a FASTQ -> BAM or some such use case, where
> one file can be extracted from the other.

It was originally built for that (hence the name) but is good for storing other
kinds of related files, particularly indexes. For visualization, we use it to
store interval tree indexes for example.

> In any case, I'd have to add the ability to associate the files in the API,
> probably a new operation in the update method for library contents?

Yes, it would need a new API operation. If the "parent" dataset is in a
library, then yes it would make sense to do it as part of the library API.