It looks like the Cheetah syntax only is parsed within the <command>
tags.... so I figured out a way to do it... but it seems hackish.  I
basically changed the string values of truevalue and falsevalue within the
parameter to be an English sentence that would become the label for the
output.  I.e., in the input section:

<param name="filter_reads" type="boolean" truevalue="Filtered Reads Fasta"
falsevalue="Unfiltered Reads Fasta" label="Filter reads?"/>

and in the output section:

<data format="fasta" name="output_fasta" label="$filter_reads"/>

This seems wrong to do, but it does work.  If anyone has a better method,
please let me know!

- Nik.