>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 6:34 AM, SHAUN WEBB <swe...@staffmail.ed.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I meant to say label="${input}" or label="${input.value}.

Nikhil, did you try as Shaun and others have suggested? Any available
string parameter can be used in a label as far as I can tell.

This is a common idiom - ask for a string ('title') to describe the
job/output for posterity, then in an output:

<data format="foo" name="output1" metadata_source="input1"
label="${title}.myext"/>

There's even a built in ${on_string} if you just want the file name
plus some history ids?