On Sep 2, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Edward Kirton wrote:

>> What, like a BAM file of unaligned reads? Uses gzip compression, and
>> tracks the pairing information explicitly :) Some tools will already take
>> this as an input format, but not all.
>
> ah, yes, precisely.  i actually think illumina's pipeline produces
> files in this format now.
> wrappers which create a temporary fastq file would need to be created
> but that's easy enough.

My argument against that is the cost of going from BAM -> temp fastq may be
prohibitive, e.g. the need to generate very large temp fastq files on the fly
as input for various applications may lead one back to just keeping a permanent
FASTQ around anyway.  One could probably get better performance out of a
simpler format that removes most of the 'AM' parts of BAM.  Or is the idea that
the file itself is modified, like a database?  And how would indexing work (BAM
uses binning on the match to the reference seq), or does it matter?

I recall hdf5 was planned as an alternate format (PacBio uses it, IIRC), and of
course there is NCBI's .sra format.  Anyone using the latter two?

chris