Hello Galaxy-developers and community,

I would like to ask your advice on installing software. I used the
cloudman scripts to install galaxy on a multi-core server. I use the
fabric scripts from cloudman/mi-diployment to install some software but
I am also looking at repositories like biolinux and the NBIC RPM
repository.
There has been a thread about that over here:
http://gmod.827538.n3.nabble.com/RPM-repository-for-NGS-tools-in-Galaxy-tp2617820p2617820.html

As James says in that thread I also prefer to install software in
isolated directories to keep track of different version. Did someone use
the biolinux repository to install software in a galaxy accepted path:
$GALAXY_APPS/package/version/? How does the Galaxy Cloud team does that?
(Enis?)
I was thinking to use 'sudo apt-get --download-only' to first get the
debs and then install them using 'dpkg --instdir' and then specifying
the directory. Or is there a smarter way to do this?

Any thoughts on this issue are appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Bioinformatician
Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO-KNAW)