Hi Mattias,
We use a combination of mi-deployment and Brad's cloudbiolinux script (
https://github.com/chapmanb/cloudbiolinux) to install tools (including the
biolinux ones). It requires some manual effort but has worked for us. The
approach you describe sounds pretty good for packaged tools, I would just
suggest to maybe create a script to automate the process as you go about
installing all of the tools. If you decide to create the script, please
conside sharing it.

Good luck,
Enis