I would also like to voice my support for this feature. I wrote a wrapper
for bowtie that converts the SAM output to BAM after bowtie is finished just
to avoid the hassle of letting galaxy "know" that the SAM file existed
(didn't want to run Tophat).
After thinking about how I would go about deleting an existing output it
occurred to me that a "deleting tool"  would require some extra logic since
you would probably want to prevent the output port on a workflow node/tool
from being connected to the input of another node if the output is going to
be deleted.
I was wondering if it might make sense to modify the "flagged output"
feature (the asterisk) of the galaxy tools nodes to delete the non-flagged
outputs instead of just hiding them? Or perhaps just mark them as deleted so
they will be taken care of by the cleanup scripts?
 In this same line of thinking, it might make sense to have a flag for the
input ports that specify that the input will be consumed/deleted after the
tool has successfully run. This would address the case where you wanted to
use the output of a tool before it is removed.

Cheers,
Andrew

>I haven't had a chance to do anything on this yet, but I'll see if I can
work something out in the near future.>

>-Dannon
>
>On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Glen Beane wrote:
>

> On Sep 7, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Edward Kirton wrote:
>
>> i'm resurrecting this thread to see if there's any more support for the
idea of deleting intermediate files in a workflow.  i think this is an
important feature to have.  oftentimes a workflow creates many intermediate
files no one will ever look at.  and leaving it up to the user to cleanup
their data files is asking too much.  there's another ticket regarding allow
users to still be able to preview the metadata of deleted workflow history
items and together these would go together nicely.