From: Daniel Blankenberg [mailto:d...@bx.psu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:57 AM
To: Chorny, Ilya
Cc: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Subject: Re: GATK Unified Genotyper

Hi Ilya,

The JVM can be quite a pain when determining the best way to determine max
memory, however the underlying gatk_wrapper.py script was updated last week in
5970:20215fcf6da7 to allow using -Xmx or XX:DefaultMaxRAMFraction. Each of the
GATK tools are currently already set to use 'XX:DefaultMaxRAMFraction' of 2
(half of ram) - future enhancements to the tool running code will allow this to
be set based upon e.g. number of jobs and available ram per node (no time frame
for this).

It does look like num_threads/nt is now available for the UnifiedGenotyper.
Many of the GATK tools list it as an available parameter, but when run will
give an error saying it is not yet implemented (only can determine by trial and
error or reading source code). I've updated the Unified Genotyper to use
--num_threads 4. Thanks!

It might be a good idea to coordinate the changes you are looking into with
GATK with the changes we are approaching. Any other feedback would also be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks for using Galaxy,

Dan