Hi Joe,
If you look in /mnt/cm/paster.log on the instance, are there any indications
as to what went wrong? It should be toward the top of the log after the
server gets started.
SGE gets installed each time an instance is rebooted so simply rebooting it
again may do the trick. You can also chose to manually remove/clean SGE
before rebooting. To do so, you can follow the basic approach captured in
this method:
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/cloudman/src/862d1087080f/cm/services/apps/sge.py#cl-26

Enis