Hi Shaun,

> I have built up a large collection of Galaxy data on my local account and I
> am now finding the following operations very slow:
>
> Showing saved histories

I just committed a fix in galaxy-central that should help out considerably:
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/changeset/7850b1df5d39

Let us know if you continue to have problems here.

> Refreshing a history containing many data items
> Opening a library with ~200 files

These are known issues that we plan to work on in the future; however, we're
not actively working on them right now.

> I am using a mysql database. Would postgres help? I am yet to see a reliable
> way of converting between mysql and postgres so haven't done this yet.

Changing databases is unlikely to speed up performance much; the bottleneck is
in the python/mako code.

Thanks,
J.