On Sep 27, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Nate Coraor wrote:

> Glen Beane wrote:
>> We recently updated to the latest galaxy-dist, and learned that the
>> sam_merge.xml tool now uses picard MergeSamFiles.jar to merge the files
>> instead of the samtools merge wrapper sam_merge.py.
>>
>> this is a problem for us because MergeSamFiles.jar does not honor $TMPDIR
>> when creating temporary file names (the jvm developers inexplicably hard
>> code the value of java.io.tmpdir to /tmp in Unix/Linux rather than doing the
>> Right Thing) .  On our cluster, TMPDIR is set to something like
>> /scratch/batch_job_id/.  This location has plenty of free space, however
>> /tmp does not and now we can't successfully merge largeish bam files.
>>
>> In case anyone else is bit by this, I think there are two options
>>
>> the Picard tools take an optional TMP_DIR= argument that lets us specify the
>> location we want to use for a temporary directory.  Initially we ended up
>> modifying the .xml to add TMP_DIR=\$TMPDIR to the arguments to
>> MergeSamFiles.jar. This works, but we could potentially need to do this with
>> multiple Picard tools and not just MergeSamFiles.   Now I am probably going
>> to go with the following solution:
>>
>> add something like "export _JAVA_OPTIONS=-Djava.io.tmpdir=$TMPDIR" to the
>> .bashrc file for my Galaxy user.
>
> This is what I've just done on our local cluster as well.  I was also
> confounded by the lack of a proper environment variable to do this.

It looks like the export _JAVA_OPTIONS=-Djava.io.tmpdir=$TMPDIR solution breaks
some tools (like snpEFF, which is a 3rd party tool we use).  The Jvm prints a
diagnostic message to stderr that looks something like this:

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Djava.io.tmpdir=/scratch/32095.scyld.localdomain

so in this case the tool fails, since it does not have a wrapper.  The
sam_merge.xml tool redirects stderr, so it doesn't have this problem.  I am
thinking about putting a wrapper script for java in my galaxy user's path that
adds -Djava.io.tmpdir=$TMPDIR to the arguments.

--
Glen L. Beane
Senior Software Engineer